Vision 2050: Time to Transform
HOW GOVERNANCE AND BUSINESS CAN LEAD THE TRANSFORMATIONS THE WORLD NEEDS
TIME FOR A SHARED VISION
- SFO works very closely WBCSD to achieve VISION 2050 by deploying Global Transformation at scale by helping governance and business to focus its actions on the areas through which it can best lead the systems transformations.
- In 2010, WBCSD published our original Vision 2050, calling for a world in which more than 9 billion people can live well, within planetary boundaries by mid-century. This vision is still within reach – but we have to act faster. We have a unique, but rapidly closing window of opportunity for action in the decade ahead. The global governance / business community has the power to turn this vision into reality.
Vision 2050 provides the governance / business community with comprehensive, reliable and ambitious guidance on how it can lead the transformations the world urgently needs. Exploring new thinking and diagnosing past failures, Vision 2050 offers a framework for action in the decade ahead that is practical, grounded in reality, and designed to help companies drive change in their sustainability planning and business strategies.
The world faces three critical challenges: the climate emergency, nature loss and mounting inequality. The COVID-19 pandemic has illustrated that these challenges are interconnected, and that our systems are ill-prepared for shocks. As global risks continue to build, business leaders are rallying behind a bold and urgent transformation agenda developed by the World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD), a CEO-led organization of over 200 leading companies.
- Vision 2050: Time to Transform sets a shared vision of a world in which more than 9 billion people are able to live well, within planetary boundaries, by 2050.
- Living well means that everyone’s dignity and rights are respected, basic needs are met, and equal opportunities are available for all.
- Living within planetary boundaries means that global warming is stabilized at no more than +1.5°C, and natural systems are protected, restored and used sustainably. It also means that societies have developed sufficient adaptive capacity to build and maintain resilience in a healthy and regenerative Earth system.
- Vision 2050: Time to Transform maps how systems transform and lays out a new framework to guide business action in the decade ahead. A workable plan needs to be actionable: Vision 2050 sets out nine pathways toward transformation. Each includes a vision of the way that societal needs will to be met in 2050, as well as a series of transitions critical to achieving each vision, and action areas for business to focus on over the next ten years.
- At the heart of this framework are nine transformation pathways – actionable routes for companies to take – covering the areas of business activity that are essential to society:
- Energy ( We can power a net zero world ).
- Transportation and Mobility ( We can keep on moving smarter )
- Living Spaces ( We can make the world feel at home )
- Products and Materials ( We can make things better )
- Financial Products and Services ( We can al invest in our future )
- Connectivity ( We can keep people connected )
- Health and Wellbeing ( We can help people feel better )
- Water and Sanitation ( We can keep water flowing for everyone )
- Food ( We can provide healthy diets for all )
- The vision and transformation pathways are aligned with the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and the targets of the Paris Agreement. Each of the nine transformation pathways contains ten action areas for the decade ahead, designed to help companies drive transformative change in their strategies, business operations and impact on society.
- To move beyond business-as-usual into the accelerated transformations necessary, business leaders must adopt three mindset shifts: reinventing capitalism that rewards true value creation; focusing on building long-term resilience; and taking a regenerative approach beyond doing no harm.
- While business can take a leading role, it must work on and design systems transformations, together with scientists, policy makers, financiers and investors, innovators and consumers. Only collaboration at unprecedented levels will create the impact and speed needed to achieve all people living well within planetary boundaries by 2050.
FOUNDATIONS FOR TRANSFORMATION - TIME FOR A MINDSET SHIFT
- Making real progress on our pathways will depend on radical shifts across three strategic business mindsets. These mindsets will be the difference between incremental change and the accelerated transformation necessary to achieve Vision 2050.
UNLOCKING TRANSFORMATION -- TIME TO SUCCEED
- Vision 2050 provides real clarity on how systems transformation happens, as well as guidance on how business can influence transformation, through engagement across its external stakeholders and value chains.
- UNDERSTANDING SYSTEMS TRANSFORMATION
- ENABLING SYSTEMS TRANSFORMATION
REALIZING TRANSFORMATION -- TIME FOR LEADERSHIP
- Shared vision and direction are nothing without action – and the type of action needed will require a form and level of business leadership we have rarely seen before, with shared vision, systems-thinking and mindset shifts at its core.
- THE BUSINESS LEADERSHIP NEEDED